Make plans now to receive your GWorld Card before the start of classes. 

  • Residential students who successfully uploaded photos by the deadline will pick up their cards when checking in to their GW Residence Hall
  • Non-residential students who successfully uploaded photos need to pick up their card from the GWorld Office 
  • Students who did not submit photos in advance need to come to the GWorld Office to have a photo taken and card printed 

Make sure to check GWorld Card Office Hours of Operation when planning your visit. 

All students must bring a valid US Government ID (see list here) AND be registered for at least one fall semester course to receive a GWorld card. 



New students can login to the GWorld Photo Upload Portal to submit a photo in advance. The GWorld team will approve photo upload requests on a rolling basis. Due to long lines of in person customers at the start of the semester, we may not be able to approve all photo uploads. If you report to the GWorld Office and your photo upload has not already been approved, we will take a photo of you in the office. 



All registered students -- undergraduate, graduate, non-degree, consortium, and exchange -- are eligible to receive GWorld Cards.

If you are a student and a staff member, you must maintain a staff card. If you are a student and a MFA or UHS employee, you must maintain a student card.


You must be registered for at least one course and present a valid U.S. government issued photo ID.

Getting Your Card

The timing for when you get your card is based on the type of student you are:

  • New undergraduates: At New Student Orientation
  • Other new students: One month before your classes begin
  • Returning students: Anytime during the semester as long as you are registered for classes

Card Fees

Your first card is free and a $25.00 fee will be charged to replace your lost or stolen card.


Your card will provide you access to GW Libraries, your residence hall if you live on campus and the Lerner Health & Wellness Center.


Your GWorld card will serve as your payment around campus and can include: