Replacement cards are only issued in person. You must be a current member of the GW community to receive a replacement card. You can not have a friend or family member pick up your card or have your card mailed to you.
- Replacement fees are non-refundable and will not be waived for any reason.
- Once you replace your lost or stolen GWorld card, your old card is completely deactivated and can never be reactivated.
- You may take a new photo when receiving any type of replacement card.
If you lost your GWorld card or think it was stolen, follow these steps before you do anything else:
- Place a hold on your card to stop others from using your card for access or purchases. Log into your online card account to set up or remove a hold 24/7 or come to our office during business hours.
- Retrace your steps and check with the front desk in the building where you last used your card to see if it was found.
- Contact the GW Police Department and check with us to see if your card was turned in. Cards can take a couple of days to be turned in, so please wait if you can.
We do not issue temporary cards, so if you need to access your residence hall or the library while you're looking for your card, check with the building to see if you can sign in with a valid U.S. government-issued photo ID.
Replace a Lost or Stolen Card
Visit our office in person to purchase a replacement card for a $25.00 fee. When you replace your card, the old card will be completely deactivated. If you find your old card, it can not be reactivated.
Card Left in Your Room
If you left your card in your room and cannot get into your building, visit the Key Depot to pick up a temporary housing access card to get into your building and room. You must return the housing access card to the Key Depot within 24 hours to avoid holding fees.
If your card is damaged or not working, bring it to our office so we can diagnose the issue and either restore its function or replace it for you.
If your card needs to be replaced, there is no fee when you turn in the damaged card. If you do not turn in the damaged card, you will be charged $25.00 for the replacement.
Incorrectly Programmed - Your card may not be working because it was incorrectly programmed. We will correct the issue, and you will not need a replacement card.
Scratched or Worn Strip and Barcode - If the magnetic strip or barcode on your card is scratched or worn, we will give you a replacement card for free when you turn in the worn-out card.
Dead Card Chip - The chip in your card may stop working, and if it does, we will give you a replacement card for free when you turn in the card that is not working.
Cards with Hole Punches - It is against our card usage guidelines to punch a hole in your card because it destroys the functionality of the card. If you punch a hole in your card you will need to pay $25.00 for a replacement card.
All GW personnel (students, faculty, and staff) are eligible to have their chosen name (rather than legal first name) printed on their GWorld card. To do so, you must submit your chosen name in the GWeb system one business day prior to requesting your GWorld card. Learn more about updating your Chosen Name here.
For first time GWorld Cards: By default your submitted chosen name will be printed on your first GWorld card.
To update your GWorld Card: After updating your chosen name in GWeb, please stop by the GWorld Office with your current card to trade it out for one with your chosen name. There is no fee as long as you turn in your current card. You may take a new photo in the GWorld Office or submit one in advance.
How To Update Your Legal Name Change On Your GWorld Card
Make sure you update your legal name with the university.
Students: Complete a Biological Update Form outlined on the Office of the Registrar site
Faculty & Staff: Complete the Employee Data Change Request Form
After updating your legal name change, please stop by the GWorld Office with your current card to trade it out for one with your name change. There is no fee as long as you turn in your current card. You may take a new photo in the GWorld Office or submit one in advance.
Alumni, Visitors, Contractors, MFA and UHS Employees and Friends
If you're an alumni, visitor, contractor, MFA or UHS employee or friend of the library or Foggy Bottom:
- Present a valid U.S. government issued photo ID with your new name in person at the GWorld Office.
- Bring your current GWorld card to the GWorld Office and a new card will be issued to you for free if you turn in the card with your old name. If you do not turn in your old card, you will be charged a $25.00 fee.
If your role changes at the university, you will need to get a new GWorld card. To get a new card:
- Complete the requirements for receiving a card based on your new role at the university.
- When you visit our office in person, turn in your current GWorld card to receive the new card free of charge. If you do not turn in your current card, you will be charged $25.00.
- If you are switching your role at the university to Alumni or Friend of Foggy Bottom, you are required to pay the affiliated fee.
You can come to our office to renew your card on the expiration date listed on your card or any time after that date. Your card will not actually expire until a month after the date listed on your card.
Your new card will be issued free of charge if you turn in your expired card, regardless of your role at the university. You will be charged a $25.00 replacement fee if you do not turn in your expired card.
Before you renew your card, check to make sure that you meet the requirements.
If you're an alumni, you do not have any additional requirements: come to our office to renew your card.
If you're a student, you must be registered for at least one course or for continuous enrollment in the current or upcoming semester to renew your card.
Faculty & Staff
If you're a faculty or staff member, you must have a current employment status in the University Banner Database.
Visitors & Contractors
If you're a visitor or contractor, please ask your sponsor to email us to request an extension of your card before you come to our office to renew your card. The length of the extension must be specified and cannot exceed two years.
If you're a Medical Faculty Associates (MFA) employee, please present your MFA Human Resources GWorld Renewal Letter when you come to our office to renew your card.
UHS EmployeesIf you're a Universal Health Services (UHS) employee, please present your UHS Human Resources GWorld Renewal Letter when you come to our office to renew your card.
GWorld Cards to VSTC Campus
If you are a member of the GW Virginia Science & Technology Campus and cannot come to the Foggy Bottom GWorld Card Office to issue your new/replacement card, you can request your card to be shipped to the VSTC Campus. To submit a card be sent to the VSTC campus, submit your photo online, and in the pick-up instructions, select the "VSTC" option. Cards are sent every Tuesday and Thursday and are available for pickup at the Enterprise Hall lobby.