Lost & Stolen Cards



If you lost your GWorld card or think it was stolen, follow these steps before you do anything else:

  1. Place a hold on your card to stop others from using your card for access or purchases. Log into your online card account to set up or remove a hold 24/7 or come to our office during business hours.
  2. Retrace your steps and check with the front desk in the building where you last used your card to see if it was found.
  3. Contact the GW Police Department and check with us to see if your card was turned in. Cards can take a couple of days to be turned in, so please wait if you can.

We do not issue temporary cards, so if you need to access your residence hall or the library while you're looking for your card, check with the building to see if you can sign in with a valid U.S. government issued photo ID.

Replace a Lost or Stolen Card

Visit our office in person to purchase a replacement card for a $25.00 fee. When you replace your card, the old card will be completely deactivated. If you find your old card, it can not be reactivated.

Card Left in Your Room

If you left your card in your room and cannot get into your building, visit the Key Depot to pick up a temporary housing access card to get into your building and room. You must return the housing access card to the Key Depot within 24 hours to avoid holding fees.